Monday, July 4, 2011

Matt Lowe's Humanist Sheva Berachot (for Jewish Weddings)

1)      We are blessed by the fruit of the vine, by which we mark and share our joy together.

2)     Glorious is each thing, for “all things are beautiful in their time.” (Ecclesiastes 3:11).

3)     We are blessed by the serendipitous creativity of evolution that produced humans among an almost-infinite variety of creatures.

4)     We are blessed by the generational chain of human life, by which we receive and pass on our life and our values. We are blessed by the serendipitous creativity of evolution that produced humans among an almost-infinite variety of creatures.

5)     May humanity rejoice in its work to make the world safer for all children. We are blessed by the work that transforms the world and expresses our hope for future generations.

6)     Let us gladden the loving couple, so they may enjoy gladness like the legendary gladness of paradise. Praised be the ones who gladden the loving partners.*

7)     Praised be those who increase joy and gladness, loving partners, exultation, song, pleasure and delight, love and great-love compassion, peace and friendship. May we work and hope for the day when, all over the world, all people regardless of religion, race, class, gender and orientation will hear the voices of joy and gladness, voices of loving partners, the jubilant voices of those joined together in love, the voices of young people feasting and singing. Praised be the ones who cause loving partners to be glad together.*

*by Rabbi David Gruber, with edits

5 comments:

  1. Hi Matt,
    I was at an extremely beautiful wedding a few years ago where your blessings were included in the bencher/choveret.
    I wanted to know if these blessings have ever been translated into Hebrew?

    I'd be really honored to bring them to a ceremony I'm connected to, where Hebrew is going to be spoken.

    ReplyDelete
  2. (and, I know you posted these blessings over a decade ago, and I'm not even sure if you can see my email address, so perhaps it's a long-shot to hope that you may respond to my question. But my name is Isaac and hopefully my email appears attached to this comment!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Isaac! Thanks for reaching out! I don't think they've ever been translated into Hebrew (and I'm unfortunately not the person for that job), but it'd be cool if they were! And I cannot see your email address, so I'm hoping you see this response!

      Delete
  3. These beruchat were said at my Jewish wedding , in Hebrew 57 years ago.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not exactly these... I'm guessing the ones at your wedding involved more God-language?

      Delete